News from the Darwin Sailing Club
Sail, socalise and dine in the heart of Darwin
The first leg of the Volvo Ocean Race started on October 22 and traveled 1650 nm from Alicante, Spain to Lisbon, Portugal. All seven teams finished during October 28th with Vestas 11th Hour Racing completing leg Leg 1 in 6 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes and 45 seconds.
Leg 1 – Final Results
1. Vestas 11th Hour Racing (DEN/USA), Charlie Enright (USA), FINISHED — 14:08.45 UTC
2. MAPFRE (ESP), Xabi Fernández (ESP), FINISHED — 16:42.30 UTC
3. Dongfeng Race Team (CHN), Charles Caudrelier (FRA, FINISHED — 16:57:48 UTC
4. Team AkzoNobel (NED), Simeon Tienpont (NED), FINISHED — 18:11:56 UTC
5. Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag (HKG), David Witt (AUS), FINISHED — 18:57:44 UTC
6. Team Brunel (NED), Bouwe Bekking (NED), FINISHED — 20:29:00 UTC
7. Turn the Tide on Plastic (POR), Dee Caffari (GBR), FINISHED – 20:36:52 UTC
Leg 2 starts on Sunday 5th November when the boats will set off from Lisbon (Portugal) to Cape Town (7000 nm), on the first of the big ocean legs hooking into the trade winds, crossing the doldrums and then heading to the first taste of the Southern Ocean, before arriving at the iconic Table Mountain around three weeks later.
What did you think? Pick your social network below and share.